To complement the Montessori method of self-discipline, Voila Montessori also uses the Positive Discipline method to encourage parents and caregivers to use a firm and kind approach, with the understanding that children need to be connected to be successful in learning social skills. The Positive Discipline Parenting and Classroom Management models are aimed at developing mutually respectful relationships. Positive Discipline teaches adults to employ kindness and firmness at the same time and is neither punitive nor permissive. The tools and concepts of Positive Discipline include:
- Mutual respect: Adults model firmness by respecting themselves and the needs of the situation, and kindness by respecting the needs of the child.
- Identifying the belief behind the behavior: Effective discipline recognizes the reasons kids do what they do and works to change those beliefs, rather than merely attempting to change behavior.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills
- Discipline that teaches which is neither permissive nor punitive
- Focusing on solutions instead of punishment
- Encouragement, instead of praise: Encouragement notices effort and improvement, not just success, and builds long-term self-esteem and empowerment.
Parenting was never meant to be done alone
So glad you’re here! Please select your FREE gift below
Expecting & New Parents
Children of Any Age